Welcome to Rosehill College!
Thank you for choosing our school.
We are really looking forward to meeting you.
Before you leave home, you may like to know what to bring with you, and what to expect.
What to bring:
- Passport and current visa to study in NZ
- Travel/medical insurance policy
- Return airline ticket
- Prescription for any medications necessary
- Proof of purchase/receipts for any electronics e.g. mobile phone, laptop
- Adapter plug for electrical goods
- Personal items and clothes
- Spending money
Arrival in NZ:
- Make sure you let us know your flight and arrival details. We need these so that you have someone to meet you at the airport.
- Pack your own bags. Do not carry anything for another person.
- When you arrive at Auckland airport you should have completed a Passenger Arrival Card. You must declare all food even if it is packaged. You are not allowed to bring fresh food into NZ.
- You should not carry a large amount of cash.
- You will go through Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs.
- After this you will someone waiting for you with a sign with your name on it.
- You will then be taken to your new home.
- If you get lost, or cannot see your name on a sign, ring the International Students 24 Hour phone on 027 463 0267
First days of school:
- Please arrive a couple of days before school starts. This will help you recover from jet lag and get ready for school.
- We run an orientation for all new students, to introduce you to our school.
- We will also introduce you to your “buddy” – another student who will show you around in your first few days.
- You will be expected to wear a school uniform if you are in Years 9 to 12.
- Your English level will be assessed so that we know which class is best for you.
Your school programme:
- You will choose your subjects and be given a timetable. There are 5 classes per day, one hour for each subject.
- School begins at 8.35 am and finishes at 3.20 pm.
- Your homestay family will provide you with lunch, or you can buy it from our school shop.
- If you are late, you must sign in. If you are absent for any reason, your homestay must notify the school by phone.
- If you are sick during the school day, you should see the school nurse.
- There is a huge range of sports and cultural activities offered at school. We recommend you join a club or a team – it is the best way to get to know other students.
Some general information about the Papakura/Karaka local area:
- We are around 35 minutes’ drive from Auckland CBD and 15 minutes from Auckland Airport.
- It is a quiet family area with parks and beaches close by. There are good bus and train services to the city centre. You can use your student ID to get reduced bus fares.
- People of many different nationalities live in this area.
- Bruce Pulman Park, is a Unique International Sports, Recreation and Function facility, with a new concept in sports, recreational and leisure amenities geared towards community excellence at all levels. World Class sports grounds & indoor facilities in 64 hectares of spacious park surroundings.
- Swimming pool complex with indoor and outdoor pools is 10 minutes’ walk from school.
- Papakura is a shopping centre close to school. Manukau Shopping Mall is 10 minutes by bus or train and is very popular. Sylvia Park is a bit further away but easy to get to by train and also very popular.
- Weather is moderate with few extremes of hot and cold, but it can be very changeable. In summer it can get to 27C (December – March) and in winter (July – August) it can be quite wet with temperatures around 12C. Some people find our houses cold in winter, so bring warm clothes.
- In NZ It is illegal to smoke or buy cigarettes under the age of 18 years. You cannot smoke in any enclosed public place.
- In NZ it is illegal to drink alcohol under 18 years.
- In NZ the emergency telephone number for ambulance, police or fire is 111.
- If you need to see a doctor, you must pay. You can claim the cost back on your insurance.
- If you have any questions, we are here to help you. Our desire is to keep you safe and for you to get maximum benefit from your time with us.
We look forward to welcoming you to our school and community!